Tuesday 27 September 2011

All Dressed in White

“A man has his clothes made to fit him; a woman makes herself fit her clothes.” Edgar Watson Howe

It would come as no major shock to anyone who knows me that my wedding gown was purchased long before even choosing a venue.  The process of deciding which dress to say yes to can be a fun filled one, but it can also be lengthy, frustrating, and in all honesty, a little ridiculous.

For instance, and please try not to be offended if this is you, but I cannot understand why a girl would bring an entourage of 8 people to an appointment in a bridal salon. Who wants that many opinions? Not to mention it must drive the bridal consultants completely insane (if you watch Say Yes to the Dress, you get what I mean). If you’re smart, bring your mom (and dad if he’s into that sort of thing), sisters, and MOH – but cap it there.

Luckily for me, the journey of finding the “one” in this case was fairly seamless.

In the end, I visited four bridal stores, three in Ottawa and one in Montreal. Each establishment featured collections from different designers, so while styles did not become repetitive, the act of getting naked in a tiny enclosed space where a total stranger is on the floor, staring straight at your thong while helping you into an often puffy, white monstrosity weighing more than an Olsen twin, can be a little tiresome. But a bride’s gotta do what a bride’s gotta do.

I ended up falling in love with a gorgeous Vera Wang number back in November, merely one month after becoming engaged. I customized the design and made several tweaks to the original to really make it my own. I had my first fitting in August, the second in early September and the third, and final I might add, is on Friday! I can’t wait to see the finished product! I must admit, I suffer from a severe case of buyer’s remorse, and have found numerous dresses that have since begged the question “did I make the right choice?” In the end, there are so many stunners out there that you just have to be comfortable with your decision and know that it will look beautiful (at least that’s what they tell me).

Though I don’t plan on sharing my choice with you until after the main event, check out these beauties that have entertained my wandering eye:

Monique Lhuillier - Averie

Vera Wang - Farrah

Watters - Pheobe
Reem Acra
Melissa Sweet - Gigi
Vera Wang - Gemma
 
Now I understand why Kim Kardashian changed 3 times at her wedding - it’s so hard to pick just one!

Sincerely,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment