Thursday 17 May 2012

From One Bride to the Next - Part One

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

Leading up to your wedding many people (scratch that, everyone) will tell you to 'enjoy every minute and really be in the moment'.  I couldn't agree more with this sentiment and I have often heard myself saying it since our wedding day but I remember being tired of hearing it repeatedly.  I would think, "of course I will enjoy it and how could I not be in the moment?".  Well as experience has taught me, it does indeed end too quickly and it is important to be as present as possible.  There are also many things you can do to help yourself truly enjoy the day and avoid any setbacks.

I have started to compile a list of tips for each bride before their day.  Some might seem obvious but everything happens so quickly that bringing awareness to even the most basic tasks is important.  Over the next few weeks I will highlight my list of notable tips.

My first tip (and they are in no particular order) is to EAT.  Yes, I know many brides just rolled their eyes because either they wouldn't fathom not eating on their wedding day, or they think I'm crazy to suggest they put anything in their bodies before squeezing into their dress.  Regardless, on the day of your wedding it might not be so obvious due to butterflies in your stomach or losing track of time and you might find yourself starving.  A hangry bride isn't anyone's friend and with the pressure and anxiety weighing on you that day, depriving yourself is not an option.

On our wedding day, I had a very hearty breakfast with my family and some of my best girlfriends.  I thought my eggs and toast along with my Starbucks would tide me over for the day but by 2:00 in the afternoon I was standing outside posing for pictures absolutely starving.  I could no longer focus on which way to smile or tilt my head but I was all too consumed with how and when I would be able to eat. The staff at our venue graciously made us a cheese platter to nibble on during pictures.  I was so famished that I mindlessly ate my body weight in cheese.  I should probably mention that leading up to the wedding I had cut out all dairy from my diet, so it is safe to say that overindulging in the cheese plate was a mistake. I had let myself get so hungry that after scarfing down way too much food I suffered from a terrible stomach pain.

Any lactards out there can relate to this story, but even if you don't suffer from any IBS related problems, be sure to eat throughout your wedding day.  You need to maintain your energy and you do not by any means want to let your stomach dictate anything that day.  Be sure to schedule some time for snacking or ask one of your bridesmaids to make sure she has power bars on her throughout the day.  I am not suggesting you sit down for a feast mid day, but having platters of nibbles around would certainly help.

Let's face it, the day of your wedding day is not the day to start the diet.

Yours truly,

A


No comments:

Post a Comment